LESSONS FROM CLAY #3 PATIENCE IS A MIND GAME

All my life I was told I was an impatient child. I always thought I was never good at the art of patience, but alas, I find this may not be entirely true. 

In the first years of my business people remarked repeatedly at how I must have loads of patience to do what I do. All those tiny, little porcelain pieces, all made from scratch, all made individually, one by one through a long and repetitious process…. Yeah… I do have patience (or some obsession) to do that. Ha ha! See Mum and Dad, I’m not impatient after all! Suck it!

But then again, in some ways, I still am very impatient. When I’m firing the kiln, I notice myself getting a little on edge, never quite relaxed. And when I know the kiln is off and cooling down, the temptation to crack open the door, a few hundred degrees before its ready to be opened is excruciating. It’s like having a present in front of you that you’re not allowed to unwrap. AAGGGGHHHHHhhhhhh! But I want it now! It’s so close.

The anticipation of something makes me impatient for it. It’s a total mind game. I liken it to ordering packages from the internet, Once I’ve ordered the thing, I’m a little on edge till it arrives. I listen out for the postman, I eagerly check the letterbox and try not to leave the house if I think the delivery man is coming. I can’t wait to get that package! LAME.

The best thing I can possibly do when I feel like that, is to stop thinking about it. FORGET about that package. Ignore the kiln load of goodies beckoning you to open the door.  Set the timer and walk away. Is it ready yet? Is it here yet? Are we there yet? Honestly child, you are so impatient.


They say that all good things come to those who wait, well, stuff waiting, waiting takes energy. Go and do something else. Imagine for a moment the thing you are waiting for isn’t in your yet reality (often it’s not). And just focus on something else. I don’t even think this is about the art of distraction, It’s about getting on with here and now. Patience is a mind game, out smart it and imagine the thing you are waiting for doesn't exist yet, and let it go completely. 

Then when that package arrives at your door, or the kiln timer goes off… SURPRISE! 

2 comments:

  1. I now have my own kiln and know just what you are talking about :) Fortunately this time I have a collage to finish too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, you can be very impatient. But your work is still amazing!!!!

    ReplyDelete